Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Recycling

Hey everyone!
I love to recycle. I have 3 blue boxes at home: 1 is for cardboard, 1 is for paper, and 1 is for cans or anything else that has that recycling symbol on it. When my husband and I were first married, we lived in an apartment building that didn't have recycling. It was horrible! I grew up in a home where you recycled all the things I mentioned above, and my father even had a compost in the back so peels and such weren't put in the trash! I think we only put out 1 garbage bag a week. That's pretty impressive I would say. There are alot of people out there who don't even think about recycling, and how it helps the environment. I could easily move onto the topic of helping our environment in other ways, but I'll save that for a later date. Trust me, I'm pretty passionate about that as well.
The reason I'm talking about this topic now is that ever since I started at my school cafeteria job, I was surprised at the number of students who are throwing out their milk cartons in the garbage. I realize not everyone was brought up in a "recycling home" but still... I think that recycling is taught in school, and is common sense. Everywhere you look people are addressing environmental issues. One could argue that the students don't know that you can recycle the milk cartons, but the recycling box in the cafeteria is right beside the garbage and you can see other milk cartons in the box, so what are these students doing? I have to pick their cartons out of the garbage because I think it's wrong to throw out something that can be reused again. It's a messy job that I should have to do.
Anyways, I'm going to put up a sign or something just in case some students still haven't gotten the idea. I hope that people realize that we have to take care of this earth.

Genesis 1 says to us: 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."29 And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. 30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.

So we have to take care of what God has given us, by reusing our resources in a smart, economic way. Recycling is something we can do at home and at our businesses, we just need to take the time to do it.
Well, that's my 2 cents for today, I gotta run for now.
Peace from Rainbow Candy


No comments:

Post a Comment